Wednesday 4 February 2009

"It's dark and it's savage but it's only in neon, so come out and grab it"



Must remember to use Make Up's lyrics for the next post title. This is from 'Come Out 2 Nite' by Kenickie and I thought the lyrics were "It's dark and it's savage but it's only a meal so come out and grab it", which I actually prefer, though it makes a lot less sense. 

Anyway - more comic ideas. I thought I was sketchily plotting out the story, but the more I do the more it seems like brainstorming. Which is a good thing really - it's what I should have done in the first place and something I really like doing when I'm trying to do something. It's one of the fun bits. So this will take me longer than I thought, but it also means the story should be a lot stronger once I've finished it. 

Whats been revealed to me is that there's a couple of parts I've been concentrating on that I may have to cut out. I've been working on the intro and the explanation for the story and I've found I've started expanding it. I love the characters that I'm using to do this, and as a result I ended up writing two or three pages about them. Unfortunately I think this will get in the way of the main story. What I might have to do is cut these sections out and write them as little mini-comics for the story instead. I haven't even finished the basic plot and I've already got spin-offs. 

I like the fact that I have a strong idea of these characters even if I think they should only have one page to share. I think it'll help me put in lots of details alluding to their background to keep it interesting. I decided to plot the bits out roughly though to see what I can keep and also just to keep the ideas on record. 

The other thing I found problematic/inspiring is the start. I've had multiple ideas for the first pages - one was kind of serious with a lot of writing, one really kinetic which may burst into a weird psychadelic rock album cover/pop collage thing. I really like the idea, but it won't really fit in with the tone of (what I'd like) the rest of the comic to be like. There's a couple of kooky ways of starting off with a couple which I like, not very ambitious but might flow nicely. Then there's a whole thing with a city and a heart which I want to draw but I don't know if I could pull off or get to work. 

Let's experiment! 

Juicy juicy juice!