Wednesday, 30 September 2009
Just for my records..
I am actually working, but because it's painting I haven't got much to show. It's for the AC as well, so I won't post up the final before it ends up on that blog.
It's going rubbish at the moment though. At least I've made progress though.
Really need to finish it Friday night, no matter what as I need to start putting a set together for a xmas Cannibal Gymnastics gig and I want to spend the whole weekend doing it.
In the meantime, here's an old picture I did in Paint called "Superman VS Batman"
Monday, 28 September 2009
Man, I am so late on loads of stuff...Acquired Collective, Fourteen Nights, getting a gig setlist together....etc etc.
Here's some sketches for the Acquired Collective, time got away from me and I haven't really prepared enough. Kind of thought soemthing would just happen - hasn't so far.
Anyway, I've started painting it, hoping it will turn out cool, unfortunately I am a terrible painter. Still, I'm trying to make some kinda painting/collage/comic/story out of it.
By the way, not sure if the lyric title is actually correct - it's supposed to be from "Do You Know Squarepusher" but I still like it.
Monday, 21 September 2009
Doing some ideas for the latest acquired collective. Going to be careful not to post too much as I don't want to post too much of the thing before I send it to the AC blog.
Luckily, I have done fuck all so far. Bought a canvas for this one, going to try and do a story collage.
Have been busy though, either doing music or drawing other stuff, just not posting it at the moment.
Wednesday, 16 September 2009
Tuesday, 15 September 2009
Saturday, 5 September 2009
Finished the 12 hour music immersion project yesterday from this book
Similar to what I did last Saturday, but a lot more intense. Started at 9:30am, finished 9.30pm. Always aim to do twenty, ended up with eight. Felt exhausted and still do today. A friend did it with me and we met up afterwards and listened to the results, was really impressed with what we both came up with, amazing. So, got a fair few songs from that and coupled with last weeks music means a shedload of stuff got created.
Was going to put some stuff up and remix last weeks work but I'm so tired I think I'm just going to chill and play some games, maybe sleep. Ahhh.
In the meantime, here's some of the things I used/wrote yesterday - I used some of my old popbloks as well.
And the music from the last couple of weeks:
From the 12 Hour Immersion Project:
1. Hairy Sway Rage - Sounds a bit like Lou Barlow backed by The Stooges with scrabble lyrics - "Cluster lachtose quips/I flux with pithy raintry/Maquettes create swan sludge/xxxxxx ran my wigwam"
2. I'm In The Carpet - - INFO: About laying on the carpet, getting covered with bugs who make you into their home and then turn you into a new carpet. Was going for a Syd Barret/Velvet Underground sound. This was the one where I was trying to be super quiet - "Weavels weave a second skin/When there is an earthquake it's just me breathing in"
3. Fly Red Eagle - - INFO: I wanted to do a doom metal riff that sounded like a big red eagle with lots of harmonising guitars. Ended up just making a really heavy motherfucking sludge riff with, strangely, a vocal where I was trying to do a PJ Harvey falsetto. . I never knew I could make that sound. Has a really fucked up Can sample and tambourine. Reminds me of Royal Trux, one of my favourite bands. "Fly Red Eagle/Twist my red skull"
4. pICNIC cRASHERS - This ended up being a song about insects attacking a picnic. Sounds like it's been made by sad, ambitiuous robots. Tried to use my strangest guitar sounds but keep it really catchy. "Tame fur attracts the hornets/Brazen thugs, they crash the picnic"
5. Gold Sand - My favourite of the session and most 'normal' - really simple lyrics from when I was on my first holiday in France and first experience of romance. Has a chorus that reminds me of those bittersweet 70s sitcoms - that sounds awful, but it's not. I sang some "bong bongs" like 'Satellite of Love'. "Even [the]greatest rocks get turned to gold sand"
6. Sixthes and Seventhes - Spelt wrong on purpose, I don't know why, but it ended up about being a ghost who is now going to haunt someone, sounds like it's for revenge but as I did it I realised one of the lyrics sounded slightly sexual so I went with it and the spooky "whooooo" noises have slight, erm, enthusiastic aspect of them. Only a little bit though! And, as with all good ghost stories it has a twist ending. "Gonna rattle my chains/Rattle the fuck out of them/Whoooooooooooo!"
7. Dear Doctor - Hate this one, it's balls. Thought I would try and tell a story to a music backing. I randomy picked 16 sentences from four books - 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love', 'Five Great Short Stories[Chekov]', 'The Groucho Letters' and 'L.A. Confidential'. Music was boring, although I liked the bass and a little of the guitar, and the deliver of the story sounded rubbish.
8. Batman, Answer Cupid's Signal - Ended up a little Flaming Lips/Prince. Last one and I'm really glad how it came out - didn't want to end on the low of 'Dear Doctor' so I decided to make a super poppy one. Has manual dribbling rhythm bleeps and crunks, rainbow harmonies that are all out of tune but somehow really fun, a really simple acoustic riff and a lyric about Batman. another that's going to end up in my set - not sure how I'll re-create it though. "Oh Batman why don't you/Find a wife/It must get lonely/Crimefighting Life/Racing through the street no time for dating"
From last Saturday:
Cannibal Gymnastics VS Geordie LeForge VS Pitket
SONG A_[Chocolately Funk Ascending]
SONG B_[Arcade Frosty FX Pedal Guitar]
SONG C_[Beautiful Melody Acoustic Flourishes]
SONG D_[Fukkxed Drum Pedal Copter Threat]
SONG E_[Manual Hip Hop Scratch Avalanche]
SONG F_[Geordie's Trek]
SONG G_[Crashed Riddim]
SONG H_[Chiming and Chillin]
SONG I_[Harmonicas and Handclaps]
SONG K_[Tent Roast Swan]
SONG M_[Masher Gain]