Saturday 5 September 2009

"The Cassette Played Poptones"




Finished the 12 hour music immersion project yesterday from this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frustrated-Songwriters-Handbook-Radical-Overcoming/dp/0879308796

Similar to what I did last Saturday, but a lot more intense. Started at 9:30am, finished 9.30pm. Always aim to do twenty, ended up with eight. Felt exhausted and still do today. A friend did it with me and we met up afterwards and listened to the results, was really impressed with what we both came up with, amazing. So, got a fair few songs from that and coupled with last weeks music means a shedload of stuff got created. 

Was going to put some stuff up and remix last weeks work but I'm so tired I think I'm just going to chill and play some games, maybe sleep. Ahhh.

In the meantime, here's some of the things I used/wrote yesterday - I used some of my old popbloks as well. 

And the music from the last couple of weeks: 

From the 12 Hour Immersion Project: 

1. Hairy Sway Rage - Sounds a bit like Lou Barlow backed by The Stooges with scrabble lyrics - "Cluster lachtose quips/I flux with pithy raintry/Maquettes create swan sludge/xxxxxx ran my wigwam"

2. I'm In The Carpet - - INFO: About laying on the carpet, getting covered with bugs who make you into their home and then turn you into a new carpet. Was going for a Syd Barret/Velvet Underground sound. This was the one where I was trying to be super quiet - "Weavels weave a second skin/When there is an earthquake it's just me breathing in"

3. Fly Red Eagle - - INFO: I wanted to do a doom metal riff that sounded like a big red eagle with lots of harmonising guitars. Ended up just making a really heavy motherfucking sludge riff with, strangely, a vocal where I was trying to do a PJ Harvey falsetto. . I never knew I could make that sound. Has a really fucked up Can sample and tambourine. Reminds me of Royal Trux, one of my favourite bands. "Fly Red Eagle/Twist my red skull"

4. pICNIC cRASHERS - This ended up being a song about insects attacking a picnic. Sounds like it's been made by sad, ambitiuous robots. Tried to use my strangest guitar sounds but keep it really catchy. "Tame fur attracts the hornets/Brazen thugs, they crash the picnic"

5. Gold Sand -  My favourite of the session and most 'normal' - really simple lyrics from when I was on my first holiday in France and first experience of romance. Has a chorus that reminds me of those bittersweet 70s sitcoms - that sounds awful, but it's not. I sang some "bong bongs" like 'Satellite of Love'. "Even [the]greatest rocks get turned to gold sand"

6. Sixthes and Seventhes - Spelt wrong on purpose, I don't know why, but it ended up about being a ghost who is now going to haunt someone, sounds like it's for revenge but as I did it I realised one of the lyrics sounded slightly sexual so I went with it and the spooky "whooooo" noises have slight, erm, enthusiastic aspect of them. Only a little bit though! And, as with all good ghost stories it has a twist ending.  "Gonna rattle my chains/Rattle the fuck out of them/Whoooooooooooo!"

7. Dear Doctor - Hate this one, it's balls. Thought I would try and tell a story to a music backing. I randomy picked 16 sentences from four books - 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love', 'Five Great Short Stories[Chekov]', 'The Groucho Letters' and 'L.A. Confidential'. Music was boring, although I liked the bass and a little of the guitar, and the deliver of the story sounded rubbish. 

8. Batman, Answer Cupid's Signal - Ended up a little Flaming Lips/Prince. Last one and I'm really glad how it came out - didn't want to end on the low of 'Dear Doctor' so I decided to make a super poppy one. Has manual dribbling rhythm bleeps and crunks, rainbow harmonies that are all out of tune but somehow really fun, a really simple acoustic riff and a lyric about Batman. another that's going to end up in my set - not sure how I'll re-create it though. "Oh Batman why don't you/Find a wife/It must get lonely/Crimefighting Life/Racing through the street no time for dating"

From last Saturday:

Cannibal Gymnastics VS Geordie LeForge VS Pitket

SONG A_[Chocolately Funk Ascending]
SONG B_[Arcade Frosty FX Pedal Guitar]
SONG C_[Beautiful Melody Acoustic Flourishes]
SONG D_[Fukkxed Drum Pedal Copter Threat]
SONG E_[Manual Hip Hop Scratch Avalanche]
SONG F_[Geordie's Trek]
SONG G_[Crashed Riddim]
SONG H_[Chiming and Chillin]
SONG I_[Harmonicas and Handclaps]
SONG K_[Tent Roast Swan]
SONG M_[Masher Gain]

No comments: