Friday 14 August 2009

"Looks Like A Clown And He Stumbles Like A Bee/Happy Birthday To Ya"





The blog's birthday is today. The whole point of this blog is to encourage me to get my arse in gear and actually do some of the stuff I keep boring people about. Mainly, making some comics. It was a bumpy first six months, and I'm still not really doing as much as I should be, but things are actually moving along. 

Finished my first comic. Ever. Even the Transformer and Action Force rip-offs I did as a kid never got finished as I was too bothered about making them good.

I followed the same advice for writing a novel: "Never try and write your masterpiece first".  So I've done a comic based on a short film so I don't have to worry about plot, or even in some cases the pictures (many scenes are lifted straight from the paused film), but just actually finishing it, and practicing my layouts. 

I'm actually quite fond of it, although there are loads of improvements needed. Took me a lot longer than it should have as well.

1)The main problem I have (apart from the shoddy drawing, which, I do kinda like) is that it doesn't actually make any sense. The film works, which is why I chose it. It's like a little pun and I found it quite funny. My comic however, just seems confusing and bizarre. I failed to emphasise the first 'teethed smile' and so the punchline is missed. 

2) I rushed the title page as a last minute add on, I didn't plan it and it happened literally as I put the brush strokes down. If I had done some thumbnails I could have made a smart little graphic piece, I think the ideas are all there. 

3) Dunno why I stuck with the first page. I really wanted to do him walking down the stairs and I stuck with the idea to the detriment of the story telling. 

4) Originally, the only scenes that were actually framed were the scenes from the peeping tom's perspective. This kind of got lost when I replaced a couple of scenes and then failed to frame up the last panel. Shame, as I thought that was a nice idea. 

5) Lots more stuff! 

Still, I really enjoyed it and feel ready to do my first story - it's still not one of my favourites so I feel safe in mucking about with it, but I have taking a LONG time doing layouts for it. Feel more confident now though that it's OK to make mistakes. It's going to be called 'Levelling Out'. 

I have some other projects to do in the meantime though, a comic with my friend Joel, a wedding invitation, a 14 Nights post (its about time) and my Cannibal Gymnastics band. Jesus, I wish I was still a student so I could squeeze the time in! 

Now, back to the beer and Wire's Pink Flag. 

3 comments:

Scott said...

Brilliant! Really like the art work. I think I understood the 'plot' but probably missed any subtext. Well done!

Dion Lay said...

Don't worry, if there is any subtext I missed it as well! It looks like a wierd indie comic but all I got from it is kind of joke on the smile - the first from the peeping tom and the second from the toothbrush guy at the end wo reflects it back at him - kind of like the voyeur becomes the - er - voyeur-ee.

Unknown said...

Awesome, can you illustrate my life please, I think the dames would be hotter and I'd be more flash under your pen. Yeah plot is totally overrated, just call it a sociological introspective search for the understanding of mundane-ness and no one will even start looking for a plot.