Saturday 4 October 2008

Musical Scores V: Popbloks



The other half of my final show. Kind of complicated to explain here, but not too complicated in practice (despite learning experimental music I'm not technically accomplished and always tried to put a pop spin on everything). 

Basically uses John Cage's module type structures (I think thats right anyway) and time as the ultimate measure of what can be classed as music. I split each piece into three sections of one minute to create a three minute score (after the typical length of a pop single). I thought if its short enough, it doesn't matter how experimental and noisy it gets.

I then filled those minutes with various ways of inspiring music - my clok music (which provided a nice solid bedrock and rhythm to anchor the noise), scrabble lyrics (I play a lot of scrabble and kept a notebook of each game to use as a random lyric generator), journo descriptions (love these - descriptions of music from reviews that always sounded more exciting than the actual music), and then various other diagrams I looted out of charity books to provide a kind of inspiration (for example a picture of a horse might mean to make the rhythm galloping). 

I then personalised these for my friends using images that suited them and sent the scores out to them. They created the music they thought the score represented and I did the same and I ended up with two versions of each score, sometimes similar, always inventive. 

The versions here are copies of copies, but one day I'll find and post the original full size versions up along with the karaoke stuff. Might even put the music up somewhere, although that could get tricky. 

No comments: