Saturday 4 October 2008

Musical scores III: Karaoke




This was part of my final show. This was a little different from the rest of my work as the musical scores weren't originally planned as part of the work. The idea was all about authenticity and what is judged 'real' and 'fake'. It seemed to me too much emphasis was placed on this when all that mattered to me was the final outcome. 

I asked friends to pick songs that were important to them for some reason. I then re-recorded these songs, sometimes as accurately as I could, and sometimes putting a new spin on them (I made Christian Vogel's techno 'Plaster Cracks' into a kind of country slide guitar disco stomp and the Carpenter's 'Super Star' into a mix between their version and Sonic Youth's cover). 

They then had to record vocals without aid of lyrics and retakes. I allowed them two takes so they could add backing vocals if they wanted, or just have one more go. It was really brave of them and I will be eternally grateful as there's something horrible about hearing your own bad singing, and they had no chance to practice or even hear my versions before they started. Having said that, I got the results I wanted and I absolutely love the versions they recorded, some of them are really touching. 

Anyway - because I had to figure out the music I made a lot of notes and ended up really liking them and using them as the inlay for the CD. Here's a little. I particularly like the grid patterns as I figured out the drums (I can't play drums and had to sequence them all). 

No comments: